Assistant Events & Communications
Job Description - Part Time (Temporary)
Debbie's Dream Foundation: Curing Stomach Cancer is seeking a part-time Events & Communications Assistant at its corporate office in Davie, Florida.
Summary of Position:
The focus of this position will be to:
(1) Produce fundraising events for the Company that support donor creation and retention while meeting and, hopefully, exceeding budgeted expectations and
(2) Develop and implement an overall communications and public affairs strategy for the Company which is tied to accomplishing our mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Produce and coordinate fundraising events including: advertising, logistics, event sponsors, creating and maintaining vendor relations, assembling sponsor packets, collecting event RSVPs, organizing auction items, organizing and managing event check-in, registration, and check-out, organizing and managing event volunteers and creating or maintaining detailed event databases.
· Work on a number of diverse events and printed materials simultaneously and meet deadlines on each to ensure accuracy and timeliness of assigned projects, effectiveness of events, success of fundraising appeals and attention to details.
· Utilize database tools to analyze fundraising performance.
· Work with volunteer staff on design elements and event promotion.
· Lead all communications activity including corporate communications/media relations, employee communications, sponsorships and events, community and philanthropic activities, and brand management.
· Support government affairs activities
· Write and edit press releases, postings for Facebook, Twitter, our website, other print materials and email blasts.
· Develop and maintain a press schedule calendar.
· Develop relationships with the press and send out press releases.
· Oversee, write and/or edit all materials to support and/or advertise all of the Company's events including sponsorship packets and materials, invitations and flyers for the events, collateral materials, program books, proposals, solicitation and acknowledgement letters, etc.
· Assure that materials that are developed are factually and technically accurate
· Work with the Communications Chair
· Supervise and coordinate work of the Event Planning and Communications Interns.
The Events & Communications Assistant reports directly to the Events Coordinator, President of the Board, the Office Manager, and the Co-Chairs of the Company's Events and is required to attend all staff and Event Committee meetings and Board meetings from time to time.
This position is a part time (approx 20 hours per week) and can be longer around the time of major Company events. Pay will be commensurate with experience.
This job description should not be construed to imply that the requirements listed are the exclusive standards of the position. The Company reserves the right to assign or delegate other tasks as necessary.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform this job successfully:
- Two (2) years minimum equivalence in event planning, hotel catering sales experience, or nonprofit event planning
- Four (4) year college degree required
- History in planning non-profit galas/dinners of 250+ guests
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel. Knowledge of SharePoint a plus or any other non-profit software
- Fast typist required
- Ability to lead, to follow, and the ability to know when those different skills are needed
- Expertise in building professional relationships
- Consistent professionalism
- Ability to collaborate with both volunteers, staff, donors, supporters, the Board of Directors and any other people encountered
- Fluent in English
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills at a professional level
- Strong editing and proofreading skills
- Knowledge of print production
- Ability to tolerate numerous interruptions throughout the day
To apply for this position and to qualify for an interview, the following are required:
1. Cover letter
3. College and other degree diplomas or other verification of graduation
4. Transcript if graduated within the past 5 years
5. 2-4 letters of recommendation from current or past clients who are non-family members
The Application packet should be sent to:
Debbie's Dream Foundation: Curing Stomach Cancer
9110 West State Road 84
Davie, FL 33324
or email to: Admin@DebbiesDream.org
Follow up inquiries can be made to Admin@DebbiesDream.org or (954) 475-1200.